For My Friends and Family:

I am not one to talk about my experiences with a lot of people. I am much better at writing them down. If you are close to me and have not heard of these struggles or stories, do not be offended. Many have not, and feel free to approach me about anything you have questions about.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Finding Solace in Times of Anguish

I feel like it has been forever since I was able to post! I have be pondering what I would like to write about and I finally decided earlier today (after over a week!).

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Hymn Number 129 "Where Can I Turn For Peace?".  This Hymn has one line that contains a questions I have asked many times..."Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole?"

First off, what is solace?  The definition of solace (as defined by Google) is "comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness." I think we can all think of multiple times in our lives when we have earnestly searched for solace.  However, we often turn to sources that only bring temporary relief.

I have mentioned before that music is a huge driving force in my life.  The music I listen to dictates my mood and how I handle life's challenges.  Over the last couple years, I have truly come to appreciate the healing effects of sacred music.  The music I have decided to surround myself with has brought me lasting solace that has brought me through the hardest of times.

I want to point out that Christ is the source of all true solace. Only through the atonement and the support and love of Christ can we find eternal solace in times of trial.  The music I listen to and sing only brings me closer to Christ and thus, provides me with eternal solace.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been facing a waiting period in my life that has caused me to seek out solace.  One day in particular I was feeling weighed down by trials.  Not only was my patience being tried, my faith, hope and optimism were also being tried.  I have a few beloved family members who face major health issues on a daily basis.  I have never actually experienced close to the tribulations they have overcome but, I have faced watching them overcome those tribulations.  That comes along with a whole different set of experiences I wish to cover at a different time.

Picture courtesy of
 http://mormonbible.org/files/2012/07/BibleComfortQuote.jpg
It was one of those days when I sat in my car and just cried. I was spent. I felt I could no longer carry the burdens that had been place upon me.  I was ready to just quit, I didn't want to experience this any more. Then, I turned on my music and heard the song "Life and Death" by Paul Cardall.  I felt a peace and calm come over me instantly.  Each time I have listened to this song since, I have felt as if he wrote the song just for me.  The beginning is slow and feels sad, how I sometimes feel in the midst of struggles.  It then gradually builds to an outpouring of spirit and love.  I used to reach that point in the song and imagine my trial ending.  However, in that moment, I imagined me, there, still in pain, but uplifted through the love of Christ.

I realized that solace doesn't come at the end of the trial.  When the trial is over, we have no need for comfort.  It is in the midst of the darkest times that we need the light and consolation from Christ.  We can find joy and peace in times of great tribulation.  The pain is still there.  We still must grow and learn.  But, if we seek help and support in those times, we will be able to have joy.  Whether we seek that help through the scriptures, prayer, temple worship, service or music; we will find solace in the arms of our Savior and Brother, Jesus Christ.  Philippians 4:13 reads, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
He is our Solace, He is our Joy and He is our strength in times when we feel we have none left.  

Thank you for reading!!


Listen to more of Paul Cardall's music at www.paulcardall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding my faith as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or my experiences in life. Thank you for reading!